“The teacher has two tasks: to lead the children to concentration and to help them in their development afterwards
– Dr. Maria Montessori
The Montessori Method
The Montessori Method of education, developed by Maria Montessori, is a child-centered educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood. Montessori’s teaching method has been used for over 100 years in many parts of the world.
The Montessori method views each child as one who is naturally eager for knowledge and capable of initiating learning in a supportive, thoughtfully prepared learning environment. It strives to develop children physically, socially, emotionally and cognitively.
While each of our classrooms and levels is unique, there are several essential elements that you can expect in a Montessori program:
- Mixed age classrooms, usually in 3 year groupings: (0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-15)
- Student-led choice of activities within a prescribed range of options.
- Uninterrupted blocks of work time, ideally three hours.
- Students learn concepts from working with materials and observing others, rather than by direct instruction.
- Specialized educational materials often made out of natural, aesthetic materials such as wood.
- A thoughtfully prepared, peaceful environment where materials are organized by subject area, within reach of the child, and are appropriate in size.
- Freedom of movement within the classroom.
- A trained Montessori teacher who follows the child and is highly experienced in observing the individual child’s characteristics, tendencies, talents and abilities.
- To learn more about the Montessori Method, and to find an accredited school, you can visit the American Montessori Society website.
Montessori classrooms at all levels nurture each child’s individual strengths and interests. Montessori education encourages children to explore their world, and to understand and respect the life forms, systems and forces of which it consists.
Request more information or schedule a tour with Beth, our Director of Admissions
Crystal Lake Montessori School
3013 S. Country Club Rd
Woodstock, IL 60098